Friday, May 7, 2010

To cut the tree or Not to cut the tree

It's spring again, the grass is green, the flowers are blooming, the leaves are out.... and the caterpillars are back. It's awful!!! Last year the apple tree in the back had about 6 caterpillar tents. This year there is about 12. They are really a nuisance.

 First the tents start growing, then you start seeing the"eggs" or larvae, after they start coming out the tent and down your tree. I swear there's tens of thousands of them all over your backyard by the time it's done. They get in everything, it's like an invasion. After that they cocoon on all your stuff (barbecue,lawn mowers, bikes etc..). Then they become moths and some of them manage to enter the house. This hole process lasts about a month. The kids are terrified and won't go out there for that period.

 This year there are more tents. I was told that the tree was sick and that I should be getting rid of it. I like to think of myself as someone "green", I recycle and do compost etc.. so it's hard for me to get rid of a tree.(My neighbor cut down his perfectly healthy tree last month and I really let him know how stupid  I thought that was. He said it was leaning on his ugly old shed).

So what do I do, my uncle's coming next week and he offered me to cut it. Kill the tree or keep the caterpillars???

5 comments:

  1. How beautiful this is !! There is a way that you could get rid of those little pest without killing you tree or killing those little pests,
    There is a site that show how to do organic spray's... maybe you could try to fool them with it !! http://www.gardenersnet.com/spray.htm
    Durga Mata

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your getting comments how exciting. That picture is scary I would try spraying it with something it's worth a try and your uncle not coming for a week so you have time to see if it works. A month without your backyard is a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I am going to try the spray. Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh keep the tree !! We have tick issues. I want to cut them all down in my yard. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to spray at the first sign of infestation. Yes, they're cute, but they will kill the tree.

    ReplyDelete